"Love My Mug" Campaign
Make a difference one refill at a time
Food culture is all about habit. We as a university, with a shared vision, have significant influence over our campus community behaviours. We have the ability to make a positive change ONE REFILL AT A TIME, including everyone as part of the solution. UVSM believes it is up to the whole UVic community to live up to its commitments and drive sustainable change.
Through the widespread sales of [Love My Mugs] we want cafes to lift reuse rates to 80% reusable in the “to go” environment. Implicit in this objective is the knowledge that brand in hand is the most effective way to drive reuse behaviour
INFORMATION AND DATA
· At the current rate of disposal, the Hartland landfill is estimated to be full by 2049
· Hartland landfill receives over 400 tonnes of garbage per day
· 369 kg per capita is the average annual rate of disposal in the capital region (500 kg per capita is the average annual rate of disposal in BC)
· Over 1000 tonnes of disposable coffee cups are landfilled at Hartland each year. (2009-2010 CRD Waste Stream Analysis)
· The 2009-10 Waste Stream Analysis indicated that 30% of the waste landfilled at Hartland was organic material
· Paper cups are accepted in the CRD curbside recycling program. The cup and plastic lid, washed and separated, are accepted in the blue box. The paper sleeve is accepted in the blue bag. You may also put paper cups in your curbside kitchen scraps bin.
· Paper cups are banned from the garbage because they can be easily recycled and they are a product stewardship item. List of banned items
· Worldwide 500 billion cups of coffee are sold every day. Over 1.6 billion disposable coffee cups thrown out each year in Canada alone.